Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Got Oreos and Organic Milk?


I had "one of those days" yesterday. The kind where you want to cry before you get out of bed because you are about a week behind on housework, have no groceries and it is "wash hair day"!

My source of sanity came when my babies went to bed and Ben and I sat at the kitchen table and shared some oreos dipped in organic milk. (ben's all time fav snack)

If you know me well, I am a little frugal when it comes to groceries and to spend $4 + on a gallon of milk makes me cringe. However, my sister has convinced me it might just be worth the extra $$$. And I must admit it felt like I was doing something responsible for my children. It's well worth the research to at least review the facts. For anyone interested one link is http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp . It is a pretty radical site, but there are some great facts.

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion/knowlege on the whole thing!

8 comments:

A mother heart said...

There is a dairy in Queen Creek that sells raw organic milk. I have not done much research myself, but I hear that raw milk is supposed to be the best for you. Anyhow, if you are interested, their website is:
http://saveyourdairy.com/

Lopez-kids said...

Mmmm..Oreos! Buy 9 packs save $9 at Frys! I think that was over yesterday though. :-) Being a Biotech major maybe I can provide some insight (wow, I am actually using my degree for something! ;-)) I graduated a few years ago now, so there may be more up-to-date information, but when I was in college, I heard both ends of the spectrum. Some argue it is better for you and some say it doesn't make a difference. The results are inconclusive, because there just isn't enough evidence either way. Many of the additives and preservatives have not been around long enough to provide complete studies, and the studies that have been done are conflicting. What I do know for sure is there are many countries who do or could benefit greatly from modified crops. Modified crops have the capacity to feed many more people than organic food (very important in many third world countries). So, for me, I would rather pocket the extra money I would have spent on Organic food, and put it to better use. However, continue to stay informed. I think this issue is much like many issues we face today. Yes, it is important, but what is the level of importance? Do the benefits outweigh the costs?

The Taits said...

Organic or not, I don't give Ava that much cow's milk anyway. We do soy, mostly...when we give her milk at all. Most countries don't advise parents to give their children the incredibly high amount of cow's milk that we Americans seem to feel is necessary. Milk just seems to make her congested, anyway.

Gayle said...

MYTH:ORGANIC MILK IS SAFER THAN REGULAR MILK.
REALITY: ORGANIC MILK IS IDENTICAL IN COMPOSITION TO REGULAR MILK.
All milk must comply with very stringent safety standards and is among the most highly regulated and safest foods on the shelf. Regular and organic milk and milk products are equally safe and nutritious. The difference between these products is how they are produced on the farm. Stringent government standards that include testing all types of milk for antibiotic and pesticide residues ensure that both organic milk and conventional milk are pure, safe and nutritious.

I personally do not buy in to all this organic food frenzy. I go out of my way not to buy organic because I think it is a hoax. To me organic is a four letter word.

Mhanson said...

Power to you sis. I just feel better feeding my children less dairy and organic if I do. If I have to pay $1 more for something that may even be slightly better for my family I'll do it.

Lanae said...

i just have to comment of the irony...that i later realized that we were dipping oreos of all things in the milk! kind of defeats the purpose of trying to keep my kids healthy. i wonder whats worse milk or high fructose corn syrup?!

Angeler said...

I have some pretty strong feelings about this stuff. Scary stats and radical websites aside, Craig and I have been on organic meat and dairy for almost a year. We were both having some weird health stuff and when I did my research, I learned that a lot of our symptoms were related to the hormones and processing in dairy and meat. So we switched. We get all our non-hormonal meat, dairy, and pancake mix from the local farm called Winder Farms.

The added bonus is that Winder delivers.

The negative is the cost. It's definitely more expensive, but it all evens out considering I only grocery shop once every 2 weeks since all the staples are delivered once a week.

Anonymous said...

Organic is definitely better. Women without all their makeup are most beautiful. Naturally growing and autonomously active country sides are exceptionally more touching to the senses than a planned vegetation/landscaped park.(To anyone who's ever actually gotten off the beaten path in their lives.)

"Organic" is a very very misunderstood verb, when discussed commercially. Like Emily said, non-organics have their needed place in the world...where options are thin to none, but whenever you can keep some things true and simple, I think it's important to do so. It's not financially possible for everything to come this way right now, but doing what you can now, is great, now.