Monday, August 25, 2008

Good at Many Things...And Then There's The Budget

One time when I was cutting Brian's hair I made a comment that I was suprised that I had learned how to do it and jokingly added "I'm good at many things" (at least thats how I remember it!) However, apparently my endless talents can't compensate for my lack of finesse when it comes to money. Good thing I married an accountant or I fear for what my financial future would hold. Last night again we sat down and made a budget and again I resolved to stick to it this month, and again I fear I will fail. It's not like we are in financial ruin, or that Brian is a menacing tyrant that constantly hounds me (actually quite the opposite), but it seriously drives me nuts that I can't seem to stay motivated long enough to track my spending past the first week of every month. So I'm calling all you frugal, budget-minded girls out there to give me some tips. I can make a budget, it is the tracking and the sticking to it that brings me grief. If anyone has any great tricks or ideas of how you are successful (someone is right?), please fill me in! (And before you say it, staying out of Target doesn't work, I can't, I'm hopelessly addicted!)

3 comments:

O'Loughlin Family said...

This is Chad, Although not a girl, Emily (female) and I have an outstanding budget system. So easy and simple that it only requires attention once per week. Let us know if you are interested.

Castle Family said...

Before I start let me say that I am NOwhere near perfect even in my own system....ok, Chris and I sat down a while ago to do a budget and we made sure to include EV-ERY-THING. Even for gifts that I made not need to buy every month, the money is there for when I do...I also have my own checking account for the things that are in MY budget (groceries, kids, gifts etc), he has one for HIS budget (lunches, business stuff etc.) And I just track my spending online every time I check email I get on my account too. Simple. It helps to have a bank with good online banking that gets updated immediately. HHT!!

Heidi said...

Sorry this is a bit late- but have you tried the cash method? Each week I pull out the budgeted amount of cash for groceries, spending, etc. I can only use cash for these items. If I run out of grocery money I sometimes dip into the spending money cash.(naughty).. or if there is any left over at the end of the week I just roll it over. It is easier than trying to keep track of how much you spend- and when it is gone- it is gone.