Monday, January 5, 2009

The Spot

There is a brown sectional that sits in my living room with a chaise lounge attached at one end. It is there that I spent everyday for two plus months on bedrest with my Luke. Today someone else sat in that spot. A friend of mine from our new ward is in the same situation I was in two years ago and I got to help take care of her and her son for the day. I started to reflect on all the women who took care of me those long nine weeks. At how fast the calendar filled up when I made the call. How do you ever repay that? You don't, you can't. You just take your turn helping when you can.
In the midst of our current global turmoil, I can't help but marvel at this power of women. Not the loud voices of protest or anger, despair or fear, but the quiet strength of just doing what you need to do to make it through the day and helping out others along the way. It is a strength that isn't dampened by unfavourable economic conditions, ironically, it grows stronger. It is a strengh that brings to pass great miracles. I have two of them sleeping in the other room. Thank you to all the amazing examples I have in my life.
I will forever cherish all I've learned from that spot on my couch.

4 comments:

Sandra Dubreuil said...

That time flew by so fast that all I remember is the kids becoming great friends, us becoming great friends, and enjoying A LOT of yummy Sonic food:) I think that, plus your little Lukey arriving safely, were the best end results ever!

Methodical Wormer said...

I can not tell you how thankful I am that you are willing to share "the spot" with me. As well as your knowledgeble advice and good OB recommendations.

BL is still asking to go back to your house:)

Thank you!!

A mother heart said...

This is beautiful! There is a great power in women that can't be dampened, no matter how hard the adversary tries.
And I never considered it a great sacrifice to take my turn helping out, and I doubt anyone else did either. It's just what you do when someone you love needs help!

Staceyjim said...

I'm proud of you. You amaze me and inspire me.