Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Columbus day camping

This weekend we took off with some our our buddies and spent the night in the tent. The boys are always so excited at the prospect of woodland creatures, smores and sleeping in one room together. Burning things, getting really dirty and wet also rank among the "roughing it" highlights. Me, well I am officially turning into a wimp who hates to be cold and spent the night freezing, tossing and turning. The boys always sleep like champs and couldn't be happier!
Ben(and all the boys) are obsessed with fire.
Mike caught us a toad and let all the kids "pet" it. I am grateful for camping buddies that will pick up and instruct the boys on all the creepy, crawlies.

This was Henry's first trip and he loved it! The marshmallows were a big hit, especially when he figured out that you don't eat the stick. Despite my fears that he would freeze to death in the middle of the night, he slept great and was super excited to see his bed in the tent. He proceeded to sleep in until 8:30.

Hendrix and Jeff had a great time collecting wood and other things to burn and successfully drug over this stump which kept us warm most of the morning.
Another slimy friend, the crawdad, that Mike caught for the boys.
Being dirty with your brothers is great.
Lukey loved climbing the trees and being big.
I think H spent the whole time with some sort of food item in his hands and mouth. Happy Henry.
We found a great spot to get soaked and the boys built a bridge across the river. I swear this is what they do anytime we find a body of water. The dads join right in and soon everyone, who is already drenched, has a nice dry way to cross the stream.
Throwing things into water is pretty great if you are two, or if you are Daddy!
The mountain men.
The boys loved this baby Tarantula.
If I could only get them to smile like this when they are all dressed up for a family picture. This might make the Christmas card this year.

I was so happy Leah could come on our last minute trip. It was fun to hang out and get to chat while the kids and boys played. She also brought a dozen Mimi's muffins which made for a tasty breakfast.
Jeff is a super hiker and he and Hendrix were proud to make it to "the spot" first.
Luke and the toad.
FREEZING by the fire at night. Note the chocolate ring around the boys mouths from many a smore.
This is what Henry looked like most of the time. He was so happy to have everyone in one place, to eat and get filthy! I love how much fun it is to go camping with my boys. I hate being cold at night, but it is so worth it to hear them recounting the trip the next day and telling tales of their adventure. Something about boys and dirt that makes for some happy kiddos. Thanks to our friends for the great memories. Next year we will bring warmer sleeping bags!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

remember when we we tough anasazi women and all we needed we could carry on our backs...for 8 freakin days!!!???? I'm seriously thinking of getting a tent trailer!!! If you ever want some fun white mountain camping then head this way...in the summer.. My camping in the snow days are over.